Senior Battery Systems Engineer Job Description
£45,000 to £55,000 per annum depending on experience + excellent company benefits
This is a new position in the expanding Battery Systems team. Reporting to the Battery Systems Manager, this is an interesting, varied role where you will be involved in the development of a wide range of battery systems for applications including automotive, aviation and aerospace, marine and defence. We work with a number of development and integration partners to deliver the complete battery systems and grow our in-house capability for development of proof of concept batteries. The company encourages original thinking to produce innovative solutions for developing the technology further.
The department also provides technical support for Business Development activities, involving several blue-chip companies. This includes feasibility studies, technical proposal preparation and interactive workshops with the customers. Occasional international travel may be required.
We are looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic, results driven engineer with experience of both hardware and software and strong product development background to take on a technical ownership of a project, ensuring the successful delivery of the required output with minimum supervision through employment of appropriate engineering design framework and process.
Role and responsibilities:
- Technical Lead role within a Project
- Requirements analysis and engineering specification development
- Battery System design
- Battery Management Systems algorithms development
- Conduct FMEA and Safety analysis
- Act as a main technical point of contact for customer interaction • Liaising with external design contractors and battery integration partners
- System integration and testing
- Embedded software development
- Able to write technical documents
- Shape company’s future by actively driving and contributing to the Battery Development Strategy, and taking ownership of a specific strategic development area
- Implementing safe systems of work
As a small company we are looking for a ‘can-do’ attitude that can deliver quality results in short timescale, whilst responding constructively to new ideas and inputs. Flexibility and a willingness to take on new tasks are essentials and we expect a hands-on approach when necessary. This can involve anything from circuit design, software coding, through to battery assembly, testing and integration into the target application.
The following skills are essential:
- Good understanding of system engineering principles (V-cycle)
- Able to conduct FMEA and safety analysis
- Control strategies and algorithms development • Experience in real-time embedded C software implementation
- Testing through appropriate software and hardware platforms
- Basic understanding of mechanical and thermal design
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with strong influencing and engagement skills
- Good appreciation of health and safety in an engineering environment
- Highly disciplined, analytical and well organised
Experience of any of the following would be an advantage:
- Battery management systems or comparable complex safety critical system
- Working with high voltage and high energy systems, including high current DC switching
- Basic operation of Lithium-Sulphur and Lithium-Ion chemistry
- VB coding of diagnostics software
- Programming to MISRA C:2012 standard
- Experience with Keil and the STM32 embedded software toolchain
- Understanding of functional Safety in line with ISO26262
- PRINCE2 Project management (Foundation or Practitioner)
- Continuous Improvement
- Modelling and Simulation
- LabView and Matlab/Simulink
The successful candidate should have either an Electrical or Mechanical Engineering degree and have several years’ experience in a Product Development environment.
Due to the nature of the work, we are only able to offer this role as a full-time position.
A competitive salary is on offer dependent on experience, plus excellent company benefits including 25 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays with additional holiday over the Christmas period, 5 paid carer’s days, life assurance, contributory pension and private healthcare.
To apply for this role, please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com by Friday 7th August 2020.
- Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the UK as Tier 2 visa sponsorship is not provided.
- Applications will be assessed as they are received so early submission is recommended.
- The first interview will be held by video conference and the final Interview will be face to face at our office at Nuffield Way, Abingdon on 21st August 2020.